Friday, March 11, 2011

What do I need to be content?

We have been unable to post responses to comments for 2 weeks, but we have enjoyed reading yours!

This morning, Rob Rossow reminded of one of the the threads I mentioned in my first post.  In 1991 I was in the Dominican Republic, on a work trip.  Out in the barrio where we'd been working, past bannana trees, an open sewer, the tangled lines of pirated electricity, one detail has remained with me.  Though each shack was made of corrugated tin or fiberglass on a pole frame, though poverty crawled in at every corner of my vision, the dirt in front of each door was swept clean and neat.  I was 16, and I didn't know to expect that pride in the setting of such poverty.


It's similar here, and I caught myself again: imagining people could not be happy amidst the poverty, illness, and hunger.  Not that everyone's content - you won't find that in the most affluent and sated suburban neighborhood in the States - but many are.  

Whether material or relational, contentment is a choice made, not a reaction to circumstance.  
I need to learn from that, again.




1 comment:

  1. Oh what a beautiful morning in Bath! It has been a long winter. The sun is shining going to be in the 40's. Praise the Lord! I pray for you and Laura & the children. Take care, Sharon

    ReplyDelete