Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The commute home


As a parent of four, you can easily imagine that peace and quiet are long sought and seldom found.  The two are linked in both our language and common experience: sometimes the quietest and most peaceful moment of my day is the commute home.  It is often a time for reflection.

If I feel restless, have difficulty doing the simplest tasks, or can't collect my thoughts, it is often because I have not bookended my day with quiet time.  Making margin in my life necessary to do this usually requires making decisions, but seeking quiet time makes a difference.

Simplicity is closely related: mental quietness.  I admire the simplicity of action following belief.  What do you believe?  Look at your actions.  What kind of tree is it?  Look at its fruit.  It's a simple principle, but suggests hard decisions.  That's probably what it takes to walk peacefully home.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that thought. Indeed, how necessary it is to be still and listen for His voice, and to hear it by meditating on His Word.

    ReplyDelete