Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Decision



S died two days ago.  I could not write yesterday.
She was well known here at LAMB, like family to some of the staff.  Most people were subdued yesterday: Dr. Hassan said to me, "I am not very well today" by way of explanation.

I had a decision to make.  A nurse came, said, "The condition is very serious now".  I stood up, walked 7 meters and as I arrived, her heart stopped beating.  I could have coded her: CPR, life support, special medications.  I have coded several people here.  But I knew we could not win this one.  I made the decision to let her go.

What makes it especially difficult was that she was 29 with an underlying treatable illness.  It was TB, though she died of sepsis.  I made the correct decision but it is always difficult.  Thank you for praying.

3 comments:

  1. Praying. And weeping with you who weep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...have been falling behind on reading your entries...so sad to hear about S...praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete