Saturday, March 5, 2011

Back home, when teaching medical students, I’ll occasionally say something like, “In medicine, anyone who isn’t constantly humbled isn’t paying attention”.  And I mean it.  But here, with the unbelievable breadth of disease, the limited diagnostics available, and the 'if-you-don't-do-it-nobody-will' reality I frequently feel like a medical student again.  It's not a bad thing.



But, it's not only medicine.  In daily life we don't know what we don't know.  In interactions outside of the hospital we constantly wonder if, in some way that we're wholly unaware of, we're giving offense.  The body language is different, the thought patterns shaped by the language are different, the food is yellow (did we mention that? ;-)

Have you ever read something a hundred times, then had an experience that made it new - made it resonate in your mind with a strength you hadn't suspected?  Try on, "My strength is made perfect is weakness".   I think, in the future, I will leave off the "In medicine" bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment