Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Why is all our food yellow?"

This was Jack's question recently.  When I looked into it, I learned that the Bangla words for yellow and turmeric are the same!

I'm pretty sure I've eaten as much cauliflower as this guy is hauling on his vangari since we got here!  Every day we are presented with dal, a seasoned mix of cauliflower, carrot, and potato, eggs, veggie cakes- you get the picture:  YELLOW.  It's delicious, though I can't blame Jack for wishing for a bit more visual variety!  : ) 

4 comments:

  1. And Mommy, why are my fingers holud?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Friday morning where you are...holiday, no? Maybe time to explore the wonders of begali sweets. They are DELICIOUS. Of course, I am married to a bengali so, perhaps, a bit biased. I suggest starting with the following: mishti dohoi, soan papdi, and kaju ki barfi. Ring in the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the hot tip, Lissa! One of the British docs described mishti as a sugar paste, deep-fried and then soaked in sugar syrup. Sound about right? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I just have to add that we have been eating sliced tomato with lunch for the past week or so- the red is quite shocking! ; )

    ReplyDelete