Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Culturally Appropriate

The way different cultures deal with things, the way they think is profoundly different.
In our pre-field training we were taught. "The extent to which you succeed in cross-cultural work is the extent to which you are willing to make yourself uncomfortable."  

As an extension to that, they taught us some warning signs to helps identify when we were treading on the edge; they said:
"Do you feel angry, bothered, irritable?  Then think: are things around you, abnormal, wrong and bad?"
"If you are feeling that way, remember, most of the time what you are experiencing is normal, right and different - it's normal and right for the people around you."


Today my first clinic patient was a second opinion.  a 27 year old young man presented with a large upper abdominal mass, jaundice and lots of lymph nodes.  He also had bunch of previous testing which showed: a) widely metastatic cancer  b) that it was a cancer of unknown primary.  He was accompanied by an older brother and his uncle.  They wanted to know:

1. Where it came from. (I don't know and can't know with available testing).
2. Whether it was cancer. (yes)
4. Was I sure. (yes)
5. Was I 100% sure? (yes)
6. What was the prognosis.

Here I bumped up against our training.

It is not culturally appropriate for me to discuss the prognosis with the patient.  Instead, I'm to dismiss the patient with a thinly veiled excuse and lay it out for the family.  I like to then pretend that they will gently break it to him in their own way, but what really happens is that they tell him he's going to be OK and that the treatment I gave him (valium and painkillers) is going to make him better, but needs time to work.  This thinly veiled charade will continue until the day he dies.

That makes me angry.  It bothers me.  I feel irritable.  It's not normal.  It's wrong.  It's BAD.

ding ding ding.  Yep.  I recognize that.

Here this is normal.  Here this is the way it's done.  Here this is right.

The patient I send out of the room is from this culture.  He has been raised here and knows all the rules,  He understands what it means when I send him out of the room (and if I had any doubt about it, it was erased when I saw his face as he left the room, alone).  And he wants to be told he'll be OK. This is how it works here.

2 comments:

  1. Ben...you are the son of your mother. She is apoplectic when people lie -- or twist the truth knowingly. But trust me, Bangladesh hasn't cornered the market on "its going to be alright". I remember when you and I went to see "Aliens" and in the first 15 minutes of the story a little kid is told "Everything is going to be ok." And you turned to me (age 8) and said, "Dad, I think I want to leave." The first movie I'd ever walked out on -- and seemingly at a moment of fairly innocuous plot. Not. So - this pushes your buttons big time. One of the things I love about you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I don't particularly like that aspect of what's culturally appropriate in my job here, but I have to accommodate it. On the flip side, the way I accommodate my own culture is that when I patient asks me *directly* I do not lie or prevaricate.

      Delete