Saturday, August 1, 2015

Declaration

Something occurred the night before last.   I hesitate, but feel compelled to write.  It'll be necessary that I relate this in as detached a way as possible; you'll understand why.  I've never written about something like this before and what I write might disturb some.
As a preamble: I know death - I have seen many, many people die over the last 18 years and it happens quite a bit here.  My job is trying to help them dodge it for a while, but that is frequently not possible.


I spent most of Thursday night at the bedside of an older woman in cardiogenic shock - life threatening low blood pressure from a very large heart attack.  I'm happy to say she survived the night and was improving by the morning (an RVMI, for you medical types).

While I was caring for her, one of the nurses ran in, rattled off something in high-speed Bangla and ran out.  I didn't catch it, but it was easy to hear the urgency.  I followed him to the bedside of a young man, NZ, who was in septic shock on pressors (continuous infusion of medicine to raise the blood pressure - a form of life support).

NZ was in agonal respirations.  Agonal respirations are the last few, slowing, reflexive breaths of a body in which the heart has previously stopped pumping.  They are unmistakeable; the duration varies, but I often note them for a couple of minutes after asystole begins (circulatory death).

He was already on the maximal treatment we could provide (we don't have a ventilator available at this time), so given our very limited abilities and his desperate illness, I had concluded earlier that, should he deteriorate, CPR and 'heroic measures' would be futile.  I stood watching at him for a moment, then leaned in to check for a carotid pulse, listen to his chest, and complete my job.  There were no heart sounds and there was no pulse.  I reported to the staff that he had died and I looked at my phone so I could officially declare the time of death.

As I looked down I saw the nurse who had called me, praying.  As I looked up I saw the patient take in an entirely different kind of breath.  I quickly reached out and rechecked the carotid - there was a pulse where there had been none.  His respirations began rapidly changing in character.  I listened for heart sounds then grabbed a blood pressure cuff - 60/30.  I looked up in consternation, looked back down and rechecked - now 110/60.  After some minutes, he opened his eyes and asked for some water.


Please don't comments on this post: I need a little time to just think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment